This Story Brought To You By

by Lexy Perez | HollywoodReporter.Com

Troy Warren #reviews-all

The historic revival theater announced plans to reopen on June 1.

Los Angeles’ New Beverly Cinema, which is owned and operated by Quentin Tarantino, has set a reopening.

In a post shared on its social media channels and website Saturday, the historic revival theater (located on 7165 Beverly Blvd.) announced plans to reopen on June 1. No further details were provided, but the theater teased that more information would be coming soon.

Built in 1929 as a first-run moviehouse, the late Sherman Torgan bought the theater in 1978, offering double feature pairings of classic, foreign, independent and arthouse cinema. After the unexpected passing of the family patriarch and the operator of the theater in 2007, Tarantino eventually bought the building to save the property from redevelopment.

“It was going to be turned into a Super Cuts,” the Oscar-winning filmmaker said at the time. “I’d been coming to the New Beverly ever since I was old enough to drive there from the South Bay — since about 1982. So, I couldn’t let that happen.”

Tarantino does the vast majority of the monthly programming at the New Beverly with many of the 35mm and 16mm prints shown from his private collection. “As long as I’m alive, and as long as I’m rich, the New Beverly will be there, showing double features in 35mm,” Tarantino has said.

Last March, New Beverly Cinema announced that they would be closed until further notice amid the novel coronavirus pandemic. The news comes almost two months after the reopening of theaters at reduced capacity was allowed amid vaccine distribution and lowered COVID-19 infections and hospitalizations. Last month, California Gov. Gavin Newsom announced plans to lift most COVID-19 restrictions on businesses and workplaces on June 15, with officials saying enough people should be vaccinated by that timeframe to allow for pre-pandemic normal operations.


Read More Stories